One question I’ve encountered several times in the last few months have been how to build an online business from scratch. It’s both complicated and exhausting if you don’t know have the means and the resources to get started. So if you someone, who has ideas for online business but lack the how tos or confused about what kind of business to start you are the right place.
In this blog, I’m going to talk about steps you can take as a newbie to build an online business from scratch.
How To Build An Online Business From Scratch?
- Decide what products you want to sell
You can not start a store without any products. So to get started, decide what kind of products you want to sell. Are you good at making something? Candles, Jewelry, art and sculptures? Or May be you have great knowledge about home decors or fitness equipment? There are a lot of options to get started.
Look at the free download here to get an idea of niche’s you can tap into and how to know if they are worth your time or not. It will give you more ideas on what kind of business to start and if there’s a demand for your product in the market or not.
- Find Suppliers
Once you have your niche sorted, it’s time to find the suppliers.
- Direct to Consumer (D2C) Suppliers – Also known as dropshipping suppliers, these suppliers allow you to sell their products without holding any inventory or investing hundreds and thousands of dollars. You only buy the product after you’ve made a sale. This gives you an opportunity to start different types of businesses and test the market before making any investments.
- Manufacturers – If you have a unique idea, you can look for a manufacturer who would make the product for you.
- Wholesalers – Buying from a wholesaler is one of the easiest ways to acquire a product. It not only gives you an option to re-sell them at a higher price but also let’s you add your branding to it.
- Make products – If you an artistic person, good with handy crafts and making things, you can always make products to sell.
Read more about how to find the right supplier here.
- Setting up an online store
You have an idea, you validated and checked the market and have acquired the products. Next step is to set up an online store to put your products in front of a customer base. You can set up an online store by making your own website using platforms like WordPress, Squarespace, Big Cartel or Shopify or you can use online market places like etsy, eBay, Amazon, Inktale and so on.
P.S. If you worried about making your own website and not being a techy, don’t worry. There are a lot of pre-made e-commerce themes available on the internet that you can use to set up your store.
P.P.S If you someone who wants to build an online business from scratch and make zero investments, it’s good to find zero inventory suppliers and start selling on online market places.